[Pipet Users] Khoros and Cantata

Karl-Max Wagner karlmax at oberland.net
Sun Feb 11 15:39:01 EST 2001

> Jarl van Katwijk wrote:
> >
> > > 1. Design very high level representations of distributed
> > > systems.
> > Can you rephrase this? I dont get what you're trying to point out here.
>
> For this point, Karl-Max is just stating the known capabilities of the UIL+DL:
> It can be used to design a "network" of distributed nodes.

Not exactly. As the AIL can do some of the nitty gritty work you
can jack it up to a higher level of abstraction.

> > Sweet. I always took a module like your AIL in mind during the design. I
> > already have some hooks for lilgp (a GP library) in the BL. We're still
> > not sure whether such a module is a DL or something that's extra.
>
> Eh, why not do it as Karl-Max suggested?  Make an "AIL" a separate layer.  I
> like the idea.

Me, too, I am not in favour of integrating the AIL into the BL.
Keep it as modular as possible. However, I understand Jarl's
idea of integrating it into the BL somewhat: if you think of
networkwide operation a AI engine can set up the topology
according to the connectivity found at the moment. Which solves
a lot of large scale networking headaches for sure.

However, this can also be done using a separate AIL: the BL may
contact the separate AIL and have it work for it.

This way the design of the existing system need not be changed
needlessly, and we can enjoy the advantages of an AIL as soon as
it becomes available ( hi, Nicolas ! ).

        "It was hell. They knew it.          Karl-Max Wagner
          But they called it                 karlmax at oberland.net
            W-I-N-D-O-Z-E"                   ham radio: DB8CO
            *********Member of No Code International*********
            ***********Visit http://www.nocode.org***********
            ********Membership Number NCI-2563-DB8CO*********
    _
  / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /  . . . t h e   c h o i c e   o f   a

"Et ceterum censeo ut Microsoftem delendum esse" (Cato, adapted)
"Quo usque tandem abutere nostra patientia ?" (Cicero, original)