[Pipet Users] Re: Xirium | Tech | MUD-Shell

J.W. Bizzaro jeff at bioinformatics.org
Thu Mar 1 07:01:04 EST 2001

Nicolas Chauvat wrote:

> The implementation is nothing like NLI (it's pattern matching stuff), but
> that's the way to go :-)

>From what I have read in various places, there are very few sophisticated
NLI's.  Most simply look for verb and objects and then ignore everything
else.  The effect is sentences like this:

  "Today I think that I would like to take that box and put it on that shelf."

Are exactly the same as "sentences" like this:

  "box put (on) shelf"

Think about it, when NLI was all the craze (for games like Zork), these
programs were less than 256 kb.  They couldn't be very complex, but they sure
*SEEMED* to understand what you typed.  It largely is a trick, but it works.

Do you think there is some way that Narval and Piper could share an NLI
"engine"?

Jeff
J.W. Bizzaro                                           jeff at bioinformatics.org
Director, Bioinformatics.org: The Open Lab     http://bioinformatics.org/~jeff
"All those scientists--they're all alike!  They say they're working for us,
but what they really want is to rule the world!"
  -- Angry Villager, Young Frankenstein