[Proteopedia] Morphs of channel opening/closing

Dan Bolser dan.bolser at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 21:27:24 EDT 2009

2009/3/10 Eric Martz <emartz at microbio.umass.edu>:
> I have more or less finished a new article on Mechanosensitive channels:
> opening and closing, that includes interactive animated morphs of the
> channel opening and closing:
> http://proteopedia.org/wiki/index.php/Mechanosensitive_channels:_opening_and_closing
>
> Comments are welcome, of course.

The MscS animation in spacefill is wonderful! I'm always amazed how
mechanistic proteins can look.

I guess if this protein is found in prokaryotes, its known to be an
early channel. Has anyone studied that? i.e. its mechanism looks quite
'basic'. I wonder if anything is known about how this design may have
been elaborated during the course of evolution?

One thing, the page takes a while to load due to several structures.
Can loading of several apps be done in serial?

Thanks for the great page!

Dan.