[Proteopedia] Morphs of channel opening/closing

lsprilus at weizmann.ac.il lsprilus at weizmann.ac.il
Wed Mar 11 05:10:16 EDT 2009

According to "Ralf Stephan" <ralf at ark.in-berlin.de>:
> Ideal solution would be if the browser could tell the script when
> it's visible on the screen and when not. I'm not sure if something
> like that is possible.

A browser should only run applets that are visible on a page.

To check if this is still true, on my mac, while checking CPU activity,
I've started a Proteopedia page with a single applet.

Then, I resize the page to hide/show the area of the page with
the applet on.

When the applet is visible, and the structure rotating, the CPU
activity oscillates on the 18%. It drops down to 2% when hiding
the applet by reducing the browser page.

Jaim
 Dr Jaime Prilusky                      | Jaime.Prilusky at weizmann.ac.il
 Head of Bioinformatics ISPC            |
 R&D Bioinformatics and Data Management |
 Weizmann Institute of Science          | fax: 972-8-9344113
 76100 Rehovot - Israel                 | tel: 972-8-9344959

 OCA, http://oca.weizmann.ac.il (the protein structure/function database)
 Proteopedia, http://www.proteopedia.org (because life has more than 2D)