[Proteopedia] Collaboration

Eric Martz emartz at microbio.umass.edu
Tue May 12 11:28:01 EDT 2009

Thanks for the update and pep talk, Eran!

At 5/12/09, Dan Bolser wrote:
>One suggestion that you may also like to consider is to change the
>ContributionCredits Extension:
>http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ContributionCredits with the
>Contributors Extension:
>http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Contributors The difference
>being that the latter extension only lists the "prominent
>contributors" to a page. From the above link: > "The default
>behaviour will show all contributors, in order of number of edits

I like this idea, Dan! If it is feasible to implement a mechanism to
separate major from minor contributors, I am in favor -- I think it
is a very good idea that will indeed foster collaboration.

One technical point: For some of my pages, I build the page in a
protected sandbox, then when it is finished, I copy the wikitext into
the new permanent title all at once*. So the new page has only one
edit by its initial author. If we implement the above idea, and if it
is based on number of edits, I'd change my authoring strategy.

-Eric

*
http://proteopedia.org/wiki/index.php/Sandboxes#Publishing_Your_Completed_Article

/* - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eric Martz, Professor Emeritus, Dept Microbiology
U Mass, Amherst -- http://Martz.MolviZ.Org

Top Five 3D MolVis Technologies http://Top5.MolviZ.Org
3D Wiki with Scene-Authoring Tools http://Proteopedia.Org
Biochem 3D Education Resources http://MolviZ.org