[ssml] Re: Sequence defined domains?

Dan Bolser dmb at mrc-dunn.cam.ac.uk
Thu Nov 27 12:53:16 EST 2003

Cheers,

Here is the reply I got from Robert Finn at Pfam...

> Do you have any examples from Pfam?

Yes, there are several examples.  Cases where we know the presence of a
"nested" domain are indicated in the description files with NE (nested
pfam identifier)and NL (nested domain location). IMPDH domain is come
examples contains two CBS domains.  The multisubunit RNA polyermase
largest subunits (Rpb1 and Rpb2) also contain nested domains.

These are special situation though, as pfam does not normally allow
overlaps between domain.  This is a relatively new feature for Pfam and we
are currently adding more examples of such domains.

However, searching genomes with our HMMs does flag up cases where a domain
contains an inserted domain.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Rob