[ssml] Slides to demonstrate conservation of protein structure?

Bossers, Alex Alex.Bossers at wur.nl
Mon Oct 11 02:07:35 EDT 2004

Hi,
Dunno if its too late but here a nice example in prions (mad-cow
disease).
The genes Prn-P (prion protein gene also known as PrP) and the gene
Prn-d (doppel-ganger of PrP or also known as Dpl) have at sequence level
very low homology. However the known structures (determined by whatever
methods) are clearly the same if not almost identical!
A very actual/hot example.

Da stuff (including images):
Science/ PrPs double causes trouble:
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/286/5441/914

At the PNAS paper you can even open images as powerpoint education
slide....
http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/98/5/2352

considering the NMR structures of PrP and Dpl
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6WK7-47XNNH2-T
&_coverDate=03%2F07%2F2003&_alid=208550590&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_q
d=1&_cdi=6899&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000026798&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_
userid=533256&md5=71f9c5ce2bbd8897106e4511f41687af

Regards,
	Alex