[ssml] Re: Slides to demonstrate conservation of protein structure?

Dan Bolser dmb at mrc-dunn.cam.ac.uk
Wed Oct 13 08:12:23 EDT 2004

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004, Andrew Coulson wrote:

>Which point in particular? The one about structures migrating? I can't
>remember when this occurred to me, or what triggered it -- may just have
>been me slipping into Devils Advocate mode in face of some triumphalist
>crystallographer...... Is there any way we could get any evidence for its
>plausibility?

I think the 'transitive' alignments you describe would be a good way to
test the idea. You could carefully align a succession of sequences and
show while the sequence alignments can cope with certain geometric
alterations, traditional structural alignments cannot.

Any clear examples of conformational change in evolutionary time? I was
once hoping to study (search for) this type of thing, as I don't know of
any clear rules that can be give for when / if this happens. I never
looked into it though.

However, I think structure alignments based on fragments, and allowing
flexible regions (energy minimizing one alignment onto another) could
counter these problems with the existing techniques.

It is a good point you make though - our concepts are based on the tools
used to investigate the data. Of course nature doesn't give a damn about
conserving anything in particular, just increasing reproductive potential
within the given physical laws of the universe.

P.S. Can you send the Kabsch & Sander refernce?

Cheers,
Dan.