[ssml] error from BLASTCLUST

Manoj Tyagi Manoj.TYAGI at univ-reunion.fr
Thu Sep 2 09:18:56 EDT 2004

Hello,

Thanks for the reply to my BLAST query.

This time I have another query about BLASTCLUST which I am trying to use to
clsuter my dataset. In the documentation it says by default it uses BLOSUM62
with gap penalities etc.
Now I want to use default options so I just simply give my dataset as input
file & give output file names.

Problem is it throws warning & error saying
"[NULL_Caption] WARNING: SetUpBlastSearch failed.
[NULL_Caption] ERROR: BLASTSetUpSearch: Unable to calculate Karlin-Altschul para
ms, check query sequence"

it means it didn't find lamda & K values in precomputed tables so giving
warning & errors. normally it should be there anyway I can provide that values,
the question is HOW? in BLASTCLUST there is no option for providing these
values.

Could you help me out, what to do in this case. & why it is giving error?

regards,
Manoj
Quoting Kevin Karplus <karplus at soe.ucsc.edu>:

> The matrix is not the whole set of parameterization for BLAST.
> There are also the gap costs and the lambda and K values used for
> computing E-values.
>
> Changing the matrix without correcting the other parameters leads to
> uninterpretable results.
>
> Kevin Karplus 	karplus at soe.ucsc.edu	http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~karplus
> Senior member, IEEE	Board of Directors, ISCB (starting Jan 2005)
> Professor of Biomolecular Engineering, University of California, Santa Cruz
> Undergraduate and Graduate Director, Bioinformatics
> Affiliations for identification only.

 Manoj TYAGI
 Laboratoire de Biochimie et Génétique Moléculaire
 Université de La Réunion
 BP 7151, 15 avenue René Cassin
 97715 Saint Denis Messag Cedex 09
 La Réunion