[ssml] Guidance intended

Dan Bolser dmb at mrc-dunn.cam.ac.uk
Sun Nov 12 11:09:11 EST 2006

Kevin Karplus wrote:
> Google "microarray database" and you will get several public
> microarray databases as the top hits:
> 	genome-www5.stanford.edu
> 	ihome.cuhk.edu.hk/~b400559/arraysoft_public.html
> 	www.med.yale.edu/microarray/
> 	nciarray.nci.nih.gov/
> 	https://genome.unc.edu/
>
> Sometimes I wonder why people ask questions that can be answered in 10
> seconds with an obvious Google search.  One would think that a
> bioinformatics student would be aware of the value of asking queries
> of large databases.

This gets discussed a lot in 'chat rooms' (Internet communication using
the IRC protocol). Its funny, but once the people on the channel know
you, they don't seem to mind fielding all kinds of idiotic and trivial
questions that would be easy to answer using Google.

Sometimes its just nice to talk to people / get an opinion rather that
interface a 'faceless' search tool with potentially baffling results.
Sometimes just being told 'use Google' is the only answer that is
needed, but until 'someone in the field' has simply recommended that you
Google, the results can be daunting.

Anyway, you might like to try;

irc://irc.freenode.net/#bioinformatics

for some 'face to face' communication (Google for an IRC client to use).

I think the most powerful use of the Internet in the future will be
'community' - i.e. Google your friends.