From Bioinformatics.Org Wiki
This wiki is used for relatively static content at the Bioinformatics Organization and other topics related to bioinformatics. At this time, you will not need an account on this site in order to edit anything.
Why not simply link to Wikipedia?
First, Bioinformatics.Org has a vast collection of information resources that our members created, and we are responsible for maintaining and expanding upon those resources:
- Bioinformatics FAQ (ported from Damian Counsell's FAQ)
- Bioinformatics books (ported from J.W. Bizzaro's book list)
- Bioinformatics software (derived from Thomas Sicheritz Ponten's Molecular Linux list and the database of projects hosted at Bioinformatics.Org)
- Bioinformatics R&D topics (derived from the Molecular Linux list)
Second, we have an opportunity to focus on topics that would be very esoteric for a general encyclopedia, such as Wikipedia, where our audience (life scientists) and context (bioinformatics) could never be assumed. On Wikipedia, even the most fundamental topics in bioinformatics require a disambiguation article (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNA_(disambiguation) for example). And the focus of Wikipedia is much more on popular culture than any academic encyclopedia would be (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Life as an example).
Last but not least, Bioinformatics.Org has information that is specific to the organization itself, and its members, and that information oftentimes contains bioinformatics terminology that can be nicely linked to articles created for the aforementioned reasons.
We invite members of the Organization, as well as non-members, to add articles on any of the following:
- Information on bioinformatics research topics
- Information and documentation on bioinformatics software, either hosted here or not
- Information on bioinformatics education and careers
- (Auto)biographical information on bioinformatics practitioners, especially members
- Information on bioinformatics books
- Documentation on using the Bioinformatics.Org systems
- Just about anything else related to bioinformatics
Please refer to Wikipedia's guidelines on creating new articles. One notable exception to Wikipedia's policy is that we accept and encourage autobiographical articles from people in the field of bioinformatics.
Also, when naming articles, no distinction should be made between the field of bioinformatics and the Bioinformatics Organization itself. The context should be obvious. For example, the article on CVS (Concurrent Versions System) is assumed to refer to the use of CVS at Bioinformatics.Org and not for bioinformatics in general. Therefore, please don't start article titles with "Bioinformatics" or "Bioinformatics.Org" unless necessary. If two articles must have the same title, please use parentheses to make the distinction, e.g. "Bioinformatics (book list)" (again, see the Wikipedia guidelines).
History & current activity
This wiki began in 2006 with the importation of Damian Counsell's Bioinformatics FAQ, which has been hosted here at Bioinformatics.Org for many years. Also in 2006, additional content was added from the bioinformatics book list and some other static pages at Bioinformatics.Org. In 2007, static content from/for the educational system was imported. Between 2007 and 2008, information on bioinformatics software was imported from Thomas Sicheritz Ponten's Molecular Linux list as well as the database of projects hosted at Bioinformatics.Org.