CS101B R for Biologists, Level 1
From Bioinformatics.Org Wiki
Taught in the context of biological research, this course helps biologists learn how to use the statistical scripting language R for data analysis. Unlike Bioinformatics.Org course MA101A (Biostatistics with R, Part 1), this course focuses on the syntax and functionality of the language R and may be used in preparation for MA101A.
Armed with some knowledge and hands-on experience with a programming or scripting language, scientists taking a CS101 course at Bioinformatics.Org will be able to perform basic software development tasks and phrase research questions in the context of the language. As a result, they will be able to appreciate and use computers better in their organization and communicate better with their IT group.
- Installing and running R, understanding the R interactive environment
- Creating, storing and manipulating R data objects, reading data from files
- Applying built-in functions on data. for-loops, if-then-else statements
- Scripts, functions, packages. Introduction to Bioconductor. Students will be assigned a project.
- Project discussion
Locale: This course is offered on the ASAP online meeting system. Access information will be provided prior to the start of the course.
Dates & times: Please see the course schedule below for the next time that this course will run. Each lecture will last 45 to 90 minutes, depending on the topics covered. For those who cannot attend the lectures at those times, the lectures will be recorded and placed on the course website as Flash videos (resolution reduced by 30%) each day, within one day. Students will also be able to communicate with the instructor and other students via the course forums. Lecture attendance is therefore not required.
For an additional USD $49, students who attend this course may order data discs containing full-resolution lecture videos and extra copies of the slides, scripts and data files.
Technical Requirements: Since this will be an interactive, hands-on workshop, all attendees will need a computer with a broadband Internet connection (1 Mbps or faster is strongly recommended for those watching the live lecture), a sound card with speakers, a modern Web browser, and the Adobe Flash plugin. Please check the specific system requirements for your computer. A microphone and webcam is not required for this course. The necessary software, lecture notes and exercises will be provided.
Prerequisites (Entry Conditions)
No experience is required, although prior experience with any other programming language will be helpful. Math skills will also be useful.
This course is certified by the Bioinformatics Organization, Inc., the largest international affiliation in the field, and it will count as 8 "Continuing Scientific Education" (CSE) credits (one credit per contact hour) within the Organization. Students completing the course will receive a certificate attesting to that.
- Returning student discount: A 20% (rounded up) discount applies for students who have paid the base tuition (without a similar discount) for a course at Bioinformatics.Org that does not fall in the CS101 range (e.g., CS102A/B) (please use the mail-in registration form rather than PayPal if taking this discount).
- Cluster course discount: A 50% (rounded up) discount (cannot be combined with the 20% discount) applies for students who have paid the base tuition for a course that does fall in the CS101 range (please use the mail-in registration form rather than PayPal if taking this discount).
Tuition (all prices USD):
|Base tuition||If taken with a non-CS101
course at base tuition
|If taken with another CS101
course at base tuition
For full-time students and the unemployed, please inquire about an additional discount (verification required).
Registration deadline: When full
Please create an account before registering, if you haven't already done so. The educational website at Bioinformatics.Org requires a separate username and password.
Available payment methods:
- Online registration form (account required; please use the link in the course schedule above)
Use this form only for credit card payments (via secured PayPal).
- Mail-in registration form (~150 kB PDF)
Use this form if paying by check (US bank accounts only), credit card or corporate purchase order.
If you have any questions, please send a message to J.W. Bizzaro (login required) or call +1 508 890 8600.