CS102B R for Biologists, Level 2
From Bioinformatics.Org Wiki
Taught in the context of biological research, this course helps biologists understand the data analysis and visualization language R. It is a continuation of CS101B R for Biologists, Level 1 and covers advanced topics and projects.
- Basic R commands for loading, manipulating and visualizing data
- How to create, manage and visualize data in R objects – vectors, matrices, data frames, lists
- Good programming practices
- Specials notes, shortcuts, and basic commands that you may have forgotten
- Project: create a function that will compute the t-statistic, fold change, difference and p-value for all genes, and filter the data to keep the up- or down-regulated genes.
- Case studies in linear regression, t-test, anova
- Advanced graphics with par()
- Bioconductor objects and algorithms, and getting differentially regulated genes from Affymetrix CEL files
- More case studies
- Project: use limmaGUI or affylmGUI datasets to perform an analysis.
Locale: This course is offered on the ASAP online meeting system. Access information will be provided prior to the start of the course.
Dates & times: Please see the course schedule below for the next time that this course will run. Each lecture will last 45 to 90 minutes, depending on the topics covered. For those who cannot attend the lectures at those times, the lectures will be recorded and placed on the course website as Flash videos (resolution reduced by 30%) each day, within one day. Students will also be able to communicate with the instructor and other students via the course forums. Lecture attendance is therefore not required.
For an additional USD $49, students who attend this course may order data discs containing full-resolution lecture videos and extra copies of the slides, scripts and data files.
Technical Requirements: Since this will be an interactive, hands-on workshop, all attendees will need a computer with a broadband Internet connection (1 Mbps or faster is strongly recommended for those watching the live lecture), a sound card with speakers, a modern Web browser, and the Adobe Flash plugin. Please check the specific system requirements for your computer. A microphone and webcam is not required for this course. The necessary software, lecture notes and exercises will be provided.
Prerequisites (entry conditions)
Students should have taken CS101B R for Biologists, Level 1 or have equivalent experience.
This course is certified by the Bioinformatics Organization, Inc., the largest international affiliation in the field, and it will count as 8 "Continuing Scientific Education" (CSE) credits (one credit per contact hour) within the Organization. Students completing the course will receive a certificate attesting to that.
- Returning student discount: A 20% (rounded up) discount applies for students who have paid the base tuition (without a similar discount) for a course at Bioinformatics.Org that does not fall in the CS101 range (e.g., CS102A/B) (please use the mail-in registration form rather than PayPal if taking this discount).
- Cluster course discount: A 50% (rounded up) discount (cannot be combined with the 20% discount) applies for students who have paid the base tuition for a course that does fall in the CS101 range (please use the mail-in registration form rather than PayPal if taking this discount).
Tuition (all prices USD):
|Base tuition||If taken with a non-CS101
course at base tuition
|If taken with another CS101
course at base tuition
For full-time students and the unemployed, please inquire about an additional discount (verification required).
Registration deadline: When full
Please create an account before registering, if you haven't already done so. The educational website at Bioinformatics.Org requires a separate username and password.
Available payment methods:
- Online registration form (account required; please use the link in the course schedule above)
Use this form only for credit card payments (via secured PayPal).
- Mail-in registration form (~150 kB PDF)
Use this form if paying by check (US bank accounts only), credit card or corporate purchase order.
If you have any questions, please send a message to J.W. Bizzaro (login required) or call +1 508 890 8600.