CS102B R for Biologists, Level 2
From Bioinformatics.Org Wiki
Taught in the context of biological research, this course helps biologists understand the data analysis and visualization language R. It is a continuation of CS101B R for Biologists, Level 1 and covers advanced topics and projects.
- Day 1: Basic R commands for loading, manipulating and visualizing data
- How to create, manage and visualize data in R objects – vectors, matrices, data frames, lists
- Good programming practices
- Specials notes, shortcuts, and basic commands that you may have forgotten
- Project: create a function that will compute the t-statistic, fold change, difference and p-value for all genes, and filter the data to keep the up- or down-regulated genes.
- Day 2: Case studies in linear regression, t-test, anova
- Day 3: Advanced graphics with par()
- Day 4: Bioconductor objects and algorithms, and getting differentially regulated genes from Affymetrix CEL files
- More case studies
- Day 5: Project: use limmaGUI or affylmGUI datasets to perform an analysis.
This course has been offered several times. Access to completed courses is available to enrolled students only, because of privacy and confidentiality issues. If you are interested in an upcoming course, register using instructions below.
- Course TT (online), September 24-28, 2007, 17:00-18:30 UTC (Registration Open)
- Course GC (online), July 9-13, 2007
- Course AS (online), April 9-13, 2007
- Course AH (online), February 19-23, 2007
- Course AD (online), January 15-19, 2007
Registration comprises of two steps. First, create an online account to access the educational section of our website. Second, register for this course by making a payment using either the online registration form (click on the scheduled course above; use this form only for credit card payments via secured PayPal), or by sending in the mail-in registration form (~150 kB PDF, use this form if paying by US checks, credit card or corporate purchase order). Please check the tuition rates and discounts below.
For an additional USD $49, students who attend this course may order data discs containing full-resolution lecture videos and extra copies of the slides, scripts and data files.
Registration deadline: When full
- Returning student discount: A 20% (rounded up) discount applies for students who have paid the base tuition (without a similar discount) for a course at Bioinformatics.Org that does not fall in the CS101 range (e.g., CS102A/B) (please use the mail-in registration form rather than PayPal if taking this discount).
- Cluster course discount: A 50% (rounded up) discount (cannot be combined with the 20% discount) applies for students who have paid the base tuition for a course that does fall in the CS101 range (please use the mail-in registration form rather than PayPal if taking this discount).
Tuition (all prices USD):
|Base tuition||If taken with a non-CS101
course at base tuition
|If taken with another CS101
course at base tuition
For full-time students and the unemployed, please inquire about an additional discount (verification required).
If you have any questions, please send a message to J.W. Bizzaro (login required) or call +1 508 890 8600.