CS102C MySQL for Biologists, Level 2
From Bioinformatics.Org Wiki
Taught in the context of biological research, this course shows biologists how to use the database management system MYSQL to store and retrieve data. It is a continuation of CS101C Mysql for Biologists, Level 1 and covers advanced topics and projects.
Session 1 will cover Session 2 will cover Session 3 will cover Session 4 will cover
- Day 1: All the topics introduced in the Level 1 course, along with example exercises of creating and populating databases with real data, and performing simple queries for selecting, updating and deleting data.
- Day 2: Additional concepts like joins, triggers and indexes.
- Day 3: Database design concepts such as the ER diagram, along with some example exercises.
- Day 4: The concept of 5 normal forms shall be introduced, so the attendees can learn about efficiency and performance issues when designing a database. Project will be assigned.
- Day 5: Project discussions
Registration comprises of two steps. First, create an online account to access the educational section of our website. Second, register for this course by making a payment using either the online registration form (click on the scheduled course above; use this form only for credit card payments via secured PayPal), or by sending in the mail-in registration form (~150 kB PDF, use this form if paying by US checks, credit card or corporate purchase order). Please check the tuition rates and discounts below.
For an additional USD $49, students who attend this course may order data discs containing full-resolution lecture videos and extra copies of the slides, scripts and data files.
Registration deadline: When full
Tuition and Discounts
The fee for this course is $595 USD (Commercial, Government)
Discounted rates are available, as follows:
- Academic and non-profit research organizations, $397 (USD)
- Students paying for themselves (not getting reimbursement) and unemployed individuals (verification required), $198
- Limited scholarships may also be available
- Professional members get an additional 20% discount
Online courses are offered on the ASAP online meeting system. Access information will be provided prior to the start of the course. Each lecture will last 45 to 90 minutes, depending on the topics covered. For those who cannot attend the lectures at those times, the lectures will be recorded and placed on the course website as Flash videos (resolution reduced by 30%) each day, within one day. Students will also be able to communicate with the instructor and other students via the course forums. Lecture attendance is therefore not required.
Since this will be an interactive, hands-on workshop, all attendees will need a computer with a broadband Internet connection (1 Mbps or faster is strongly recommended for those watching the live lecture), a sound card with speakers, a modern Web browser, and the Adobe Flash plugin. Please check the specific system requirements for your computer. A microphone and webcam is not required for this course. The necessary software, lecture notes and exercises will be provided.
If you have any questions, please send a message to J.W. Bizzaro (login required) or call +1 978 562 4800.