CS103A Perl for Biologists, Level 3
From Bioinformatics.Org Wiki
This course aims at teaching Biologists how to use Perl as a programming language to automate certain tasks in their research. Advanced topics in regular expressions, objects, modules will be covered, along with tips and tricks to fine-tune programs and resolve bugs.
The course is divided into 4 sessions, roughly 1-1.5 hours each. The 5th session is reserved for project discussion and any other issues the students may want to discuss.
- Sessions 1 will cover all topics of the level 1 and 2 classes, with some new case studies to understand the best use of modules for developing solutions in bioinformatics
- Session 2 will cover regular expressions in much detail, using them in case studies involving gene annotation and literature mining
- Session 3 will cover object oriented programming once again, and some new case studies will be covered, depicting solutions to real life situations
- Session 4 will cover exception handling and debugging. Software development project using Bioperl will be done.
Level 1 & 2 or equivalent training is required
Access to completed courses is available to enrolled students only, because of privacy and confidentiality issues. If you are interested in an upcoming course, register using instructions below.
Registration comprises of two steps. First, create an online account to access the educational section of our website. Second, register for this course by making a payment using either the online registration form (click on the scheduled course above; use this form only for credit card payments via secured PayPal), or by sending in the mail-in registration form (~150 kB PDF, use this form if paying by US checks, credit card or corporate purchase order). Please check the tuition rates and discounts below.
For an additional USD $49, students who attend this course may order data discs containing full-resolution lecture videos and extra copies of the slides, scripts and data files.
Registration deadline: When full
Tuition and discounts
The fee for this course is $695 USD (commercial and government)
Discounted rates are available, as follows:
- Academic and non-profit research organizations, $464 (USD)
- Students paying for themselves (not getting reimbursement) and unemployed individuals (verification required), please inquire.
- Limited scholarships may also be available
- Professional members get an additional 20% discount
Online courses are offered via online meeting system. Access information will be provided prior to the start of the course. Each lecture will last 45 to 90 minutes, depending on the topics covered. For those who cannot attend the lectures at those times, the lectures will be recorded and placed on the course website as Flash videos (resolution reduced by 30%) each day, within one day. Students will also be able to communicate with the instructor and other students via the course forums. Lecture attendance is therefore not required.
Since this will be an interactive, hands-on workshop, all attendees will need a computer with a broadband Internet connection (1 Mbps or faster is strongly recommended for those watching the live lecture), a sound card with speakers, a modern Web browser, and the Adobe Flash plugin. A microphone and webcam is not required for this course. The necessary software, lecture notes and exercises will be provided.
This course is certified by the Bioinformatics Organization, Inc., the largest international affiliation in the field, and it will count as 5 "Continuing Scientific Education" (CSE) credits (one credit per contact hour) within the Organization. Students completing the course will receive a certificate attesting to that.
If you have any questions, please send a message to J.W. Bizzaro (login required) or call +1 978 562 4800.