Education in Canada
From Bioinformatics.Org Wiki
Revision as of 19:55, 22 November 2011 by 188.8.131.52
Degree Programs in Canada
Numerous degree programs have been established across Canada:
- The University of Alberta offers four-year Biology or Computer Science degrees with a specialization in bioinformatics. The Faculty of Computer Science there offers Master's and PhD training in bioinformatics.
- Simon Fraser University and the University of British Columbia are collaborating on a new Bioinformatics training program with the British Columbia Cancer Agency. The program offers post-graduate diploma, Master's, and PhD training in Bioinformatics. Now Simon Fraser University also offers a joint major programme in Molecular Biology and Biochemistry (MBB) and Computer Science in Bioinformatics. UBC also now has a separate program for Master's and PhD in Bioinformatics.
- Seneca College, Toronto offers a post-graduate diploma in Bioinformatics.
- Beginning in 2003/2004 the University of Calgary will offer a bioinformatics programme.
- The University of Waterloo, Department of Computer Science offers undergraduate and graduate courses in bioinformatics. More information is here.
- The University of Western Ontario in London offers Honors BSc degrees with Honors Specializations in Bioinformatics with either a Computer Science concentration or a Biochemistry concentration. Details can be found in the current Academic Calendar.
- The University of Toronto offers both undergraduate and a variety of graduate programs in bioinformatics (such as The Collaborative Graduate Program in Genome Biology and Bioinformatics). See the for student page of activities in Bioinformatics, Computational and Genome-scale biology for a summary of the area in the university including lists of faculty members.
- In French: L'Université Lavav offre des programmes de premier cycle en bio-informatique. Dans un future proche la formation sera aussi disponible aux cycles suppérieurs.
Advanced Short Course Training Programs in Canada
- Canada also has a national bioinformatics training program: The Canadian Bioinformatics Workshops which offers a variety of 2-day hands-on training opportunities in advanced bioinformatics topics such as:
- Informatics on High-Throughput sequencing Data
- Gene List Analysis from -omics Data
- Exploratory Data Analysis and Essential Statistics in Biology using R
- Informatics and Statistics for Metabolomics
- Microarray Data Analysis