From Bioinformatics.Org Wiki
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
<br />[http://www.exludus.com/bioinformatics.php http://bioinformatics.org/images/ack_banners/
<br />[http://www.exludus.com/bioinformatics.php http://bioinformatics.org/images/ack_banners/-.jpg]
Revision as of 18:47, 11 June 2008
The Bioinformatics Organization offers professional development courses for continuing scientific education. These are short, postgraduate-level courses on computational topics of interest to prospective and practicing researchers in the life sciences. Course titles and descriptions are below. Click here for a calendar of educational events. We offer online and on-site courses, most of which can be customized for the needs of companies or organizations. Please contact us for further details.
For online courses, the Bioinformatics Organization uses a system for streaming the multimedia of live lectures. It incorporates the following features:
- Full A/V streaming from the instructor's computer to the students' computers
- Ability to show the instructor's desktop on the students' computers
- Ability to share PowerPoint slides and to use graphical "call-outs" with the students
- IM-style text chat between students and the instructor
Click here for a sample lecture (reduced resolution) on Dchip.
Many researchers and scientists have benefited from our workshops; here are some testimonials:
- Very interactive and rewarding. -- Edouard Cadieu, Ph.D., NIH/NHGRI
- I really enjoyed the courses and look forward to future offerings. -- John Laycock, Ph.D., Amgen Inc.
- I learned a lot and got really motivated. -- Carlos J. Blondel, Santiago, Chile
Our attendees come from far and wide; here's a partial list:
- BD Diagnostics
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Max Planck Institute
- McGill University
- Midwest Research Institute
- University of New Mexico
- US Department of Agriculture
- US National Cancer Institute
- US National Institutes of Health
- Wyeth Research
If you have any questions, please send a message to J.W. Bizzaro (login required) or call +1 978 562 4800.
Level-200 courses in biology cover special topics that field but introduce analytical techniques that can be utilized by practitioners in any of the allied fields (CS, math, chemistry, engineering and physics).
Microarray Data Analysis Series:
- BI201A Gene Expression Analysis
- BI201B SNP Genotyping
- BI201C dChip for Gene Expression and SNP Genotyping
Network & Pathway Analysis Series:
Molecular Evolution Series:
- BI231A Phylogenetics, Level 1 (coming soon)
Computer science topics
Level-100 courses in computer science use laboratory scenarios and data to introduce biologists to fundamental computing topics.
Our CS101 courses are for biologists who are unfamiliar with some or all of the computer languages and tools used in the bioinformatics discipline. And our CS102 courses build upon the concepts introduced in the respective CS101 courses. CS102 courses are project-based and use take-home assignments to acquaint the biologist with larger and more complex computing problems.
Computer Programming Series:
- CS101A Perl for Biologists, Level 1
- CS102A Perl for Biologists, Level 2
- CS103A Perl for Biologists, Level 3
Coming soon: more CS103 courses
Data Discovery & Acquisition Series:
Data Visualization Series:
Level-100 courses in math use laboratory scenarios and data to introduce biologists to essential topics in mathematics.
Our MA101 courses are for biologists who are unfamiliar with some or all of the mathematical methods used in the bioinformatics discipline.
We also offer a site license option for those individuals and organizations interested in getting unlimited access to multiple course offerings. The video lectures are pre-recorded, attendees can watch them on the internet, and download all the other course materials. The instructors are still available to answer your questions, or clarify any issues pertaining to the materials. Rather than taking each course separately, this offers significant savings to organizations, and even individuals! To get more detailed information about the various options available, go to the site license page.
NB: The educational services website at Bioinformatics.Org requires a separate account.