From Bioinformatics.Org Wiki
The Bioinformatics Organization offers professional development courses for continuing scientific education. These are short, postgraduate-level courses on computational topics of interest to prospective and practicing researchers in the life sciences. Course titles and descriptions are below. We offer online and on-site courses, most of which can be customized for the needs of companies or organizations. Please contact us for further details.
Click here for a sample lecture (reduced resolution) on Dchip.
For online courses, the Bioinformatics Organization uses a system for streaming the multimedia of live lectures. It incorporates the following features:
- Full A/V streaming from the instructor's computer to the students' computers
- Ability to show the instructor's desktop on the students' computers
- Ability to share PowerPoint slides and to use graphical "call-outs" with the students
- IM-style text chat between students and the instructor
Computer science topics
Level-100 courses in computer science use laboratory scenarios and data to introduce biologists to fundamental computing topics.
Our CS101 courses are for biologists who are unfamiliar with some or all of the computer languages and tools used in the bioinformatics discipline. And our CS102 courses build upon the concepts introduced in the respective CS101 courses. CS102 courses are project-based and use take-home assignments to acquaint the biologist with larger and more complex computing problems.
Computer Programming Series:
- CS101 Introduction to Bioinformatics Programming
- CS101A Perl for Biologists, Level 1
- CS102A Perl for Biologists, Level 2
- CS103A Perl for Biologists, Level 3
- CS101B R for Biologists, Level 1
- CS102B R for Biologists, Level 2
- CS101C MySQL for Biologists, Level 1
- CS102C MySQL for Biologists, Level 2
- CS101D MATLAB for Biologists, Level 1
- CS101E Python for Biologists, Level 1
- CS102E Python for Biologists, Level 2
Data Discovery & Acquisition Series:
Level-200 courses in biology cover special topics that field but introduce analytical techniques that can be utilized by practitioners in any of the allied fields (CS, math, chemistry, engineering and physics).
Microarray Data Analysis Series:
- BI201A Gene Expression Analysis
- BI201B SNP Genotyping
- BI201C dChip for Gene Expression and SNP Genotyping
Network & Pathway Analysis Series:
Level-100 courses in math use laboratory scenarios and data to introduce biologists to essential topics in mathematics.
Our MA101 courses are for biologists who are unfamiliar with some or all of the mathematical methods used in the bioinformatics discipline.
NB: The educational services website at Bioinformatics.Org requires a separate account.
Click here for a calendar of educational events.
"Course Bundle" option
We also offer a "Course Bundle" option for those individuals and organizations interested in getting unlimited access to most of our course offerings. The video lectures are pre-recorded - attendees can watch them on the internet, and download all the other course materials (slides, examples, software). The instructors are still available to answer questions, or clarify any issues pertaining to the materials. This option offers significant savings, when compared to taking each of our courses separately. It also provides a great deal of flexibility.
Price: $2000 per user (perpetual access).
Any new courses added in the first year will automatically become available to customer. Renewal fee of 20% applies for adding new courses in subsequent years.
Many researchers and scientists have benefited from our workshops; here are some testimonials:
Very interactive and rewarding. -- Edouard Cadieu, Ph.D., NIH/NHGRI
I really enjoyed the courses and look forward to future offerings. -- John Laycock, Ph.D., Amgen Inc.
I learned a lot and got really motivated. -- Carlos J. Blondel, Santiago, Chile
Our attendees come from far and wide; here's a partial list:
- BD Diagnostics
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Max Planck Institute
- McGill University
- Midwest Research Institute
- University of New Mexico
- US Department of Agriculture
- US National Cancer Institute
- US National Institutes of Health
- Wyeth Research