[BiO BB] Career Question

jfreeman jfreeman at variagenics.com
Wed Oct 10 10:50:26 EDT 2001

Dear Brian et al.,

The best approach, if you are willing to take the temporary pay cut, is
to work as the IT guy in a prominent lab for a few years.  Your skill in
IT will be welcome, if you are willing to work at academic rates, but
after a few years you will have enough exposure to go out into the
pharmaceutical market.  Finding the right lab to work for is a difficult
part of your due diligence, a suggestion is to go to a bioinformatics
conference and see who is presenting and ask them if they need your
skill set.

A good book to start with:

Developing Bioinformatics Computer Skills

http://www.half.com/cat/buy/prod.cgi?cpid=1056094268&domain_id=1856&meta_id=1

Good luck,

Jim Freeman
Senior Scientist