[BiO BB] How to write Algorithms

Jan Torleif Pedersen JATP at Lundbeck.com
Wed Sep 26 10:21:49 EDT 2001

Greetings,

I have have as a byline been following this thread and I am deeply puzzled
about the whole concept.

An algorithm is the embodyment of a piece of mathematics, which in turn is
the embodyment of a theoretical experiment. In my mind you need to be able
to understand scientific problems and how to explain and describe these in
terms of mathematics. Once this is done one can consider numerical solutions
to a given problem. Just being able to implement an amoeba minimizer,
reverse heap sort, binary trees etc etc does in my mind have limited to no
value.

The analogy I would like to draw is having all the tools for building a car,
without ever having seen a car - what is the point ?

Finally, I think all the books suggested are great and I have myself used
them extensively, so please do not misunderstand my point, which is - Find a
problem first and then start thinking about how you want to solve it.

			--- Jan

Dr. Jan T. Pedersen
Dep of Computational Chemistry
H. Lundbeck A/S