[BiO BB] How to get the gene sequence efficiently

hz5 at njit.edu hz5 at njit.edu
Sat Sep 7 18:24:31 EDT 2002

Hi, Wu,
Entrez has a batch retrieval tool that can be downloaded and run locally with a
net connection.

If ou want to retrieve Drosophila or yeast, please go to flybase and SGD
accordingly. They allow you to specify coordinate for your sequence. Ensemble
does a better job in giving flanking sequence for human genes. but hard to
specify coordinates.

I have a tool that retrieve any region of a specific human gene sequence. You
give gene name, coordinates, it retrieve the sequence for you from NCBI. It
allows batch retrieval. Like somebody has just retrieved upstream 20kb for 20
sequences, just paste all the gene names, and give coordinate as from "-20000"
to "-1", click and wait.

Hope this is helpful.
Haibo Zhang
Computational Biology, NJIT & Rutgers University
http://afs13.njit.edu/~hz5