[BiO BB] DNA Strider

Yannick Wurm idh at poulet.org
Tue Mar 30 10:04:33 EST 2004

Hi,
I'm a student in Bioinformatics and Modeling at a French engineering
school in Lyon, France (http://biosciences.insa-lyon.fr). Currently in
my last year, I'm currently doing a six month internship in a C.
elegans lab at McGill University in Montreal.
The lab's computer are Macs, and besides standard browsing, word
processing and image processing, lab members also use them to aid them
in their molecular biology work.
One of the programs they use is called DNA Strider. This piece of
software has not been updated in a long time (probably since Apple's
System 6.x - window sizes are fixed to the small old mac screen size!)
and could require a face-lift.

In the lab, it is mainly used for managing and manipulating sequences
of genes, primers and constructs. The main features of interest here
are:
	- Sequence management
     - Graphical (circular or linear) restriction maps of a given
sequence (or part of it), showing restriction site data concerning the
part or whole sequence (for each enzyme, you get the number of
restriction sites, and the obtained fragement sizes)
	- Reverse complementary sequence
	- Quick and simple alignment between two sequences

I've searched the web and could not find an all-in-one package that
seemed as user friendly and coherent as DNA Strider. Individual web
sites and software tools do offer these features, but
	- the internet is slow (you click and need to wait before getting your
result)
	- having everything in one place is nice

Sequence Analysis (for Mac OS X) http://informagen.com/SA/ seems to be
aiming to do what DNA Strider does, but is still very young (and
closed-source, but thats a different debate).

http://www.mekentosj.com/ has some very nice tools as well, but they're
very problem-specific.

Have I missed something? Is there a really cool java app or web
software (that I could install locally for speed) that would replace
DNA Strider? What does your molecular biology lab use in for it's day
to day work?
Oh and buying something expensive is not a solution.

Thanks for any leads,

Yannick.

\\  http://yannick.poulet.org icq: 22044361
\\  idh at poulet.org  tel: ++33.6.16.41.71.92