[BiO BB] Generate Quaternary structure of protein from monomer

Boris Steipe boris.steipe at utoronto.ca
Fri Mar 4 00:12:08 EST 2005

Depending on the crystal symmetry and the orientation of the monomer in
the asymmetric unit, this all can be nontrivial.

Consider a dimer "()" in a crystal lattice  ...()()()()()()...
The asymmetric unit contains the monomer "(" or its rotated copy ")"
but, depending on where the monomer is located in the unit cell,
applying the symmetry matrix once may give you "()" or it may give you
")(". So in order to cover all cases, you may have to apply the matrix
to two copies and _translate_ one by one unit cell to give ")()", then
decide which of the pairs is the one you want.

Pragmatically, and depending how familiar you are with "O" or other
crystallography tools, it  may be faster downloading the biological
unit from PDB or EBI-PQS and then using a superposition tool or Web
service to superimpose your model on each of the monomers. It really
depends on the spacegroup.

Also, depending on the graphics program you use, you may either have to
give each of the monomers a separate chain identifier "A", "B", "C" ...
(check the biological unit file to see how this is done) or put a
"MODEL  1", "MODEL  2" etc. line before each copy and  an "ENDMDL" line
after it (check any NMR structure ensemble to see how that is used).

Hope this helps,

Boris