[BiO BB] Generate Quaternary structure of protein from monomer

vidya kothekar vidyakothekar at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 7 12:51:21 EST 2005

Dear Subhash
I find people are having some confusion regarding
crystal packing, and symmetry elements associated with
it and multimeric structure of the proteins.

Crystal symmetry and packing you can talk if the
crystal structure is solved and symmetry groups are
observed. Obtaining coordinates of different chains is
no problem. There are plenty of programs and tools
available with the graphics software or Work stations
as O. Even if these are not available, one can write
the program very easily and generate the coordinates
using PDB coordinates of the monomers using text book
level information for the transformation.

However, the arrangement of the subunits in the
quarternary structure of a protein is a complicated
task. It is even more complecated in case of modelled
protein or for proteins for which part of the
structure is solved. It is true that, if it is not
done then it is very difficult to predict the active
site.

In reality there is no method. The problem is first
one should identify constituents of the multimeric
structures as same chain, chemically modified chins
etc. It is possible to use series of experimental
techniques to get tentative guess for protein-protein
interaction. Later one can use combination of
experiment and theory to arrive at the multimeric
structure.

In case one has a good template and one is convinced
that the modelled proteins and the template for which
the X-ray structure is available have the same
function and also have same packing, one can
extrapolate the results on template and use graphic
software or O or write a small program
Good luck.
V.Kothekar