[BiO BB] random sequences

James Stroud jstroud at mbi.ucla.edu
Wed Mar 16 20:05:49 EST 2005

Python can do this with about 5 lines if you don't have a polynomial
distribution and about 8 if you do. Download and install python and run this
program (you will need to consult the manual to figure out how to run python
programs--pretty easy though). Work through the "hello world" example to get
started, then run the following program.

from random import choice

seq_len = 100
choices = ("A","T","G","C")

the_seq = ""
for abase in xrange(seq_len):
  the_seq += choice(choices)

print the_seq

If you have polynomial distributions, its a little more complicated

James

--
James Stroud, Ph.D.
Box 951570