[BiO BB] (no subject)

Dan Bolser dmb at mrc-dunn.cam.ac.uk
Mon May 16 14:17:27 EDT 2005

On Mon, 16 May 2005, Magda Mansour wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm trying to start working with the NCBI C++ Toolkit.
>
>I have already downloaded the files by FTP, run the
>"configure" command successfully, run the "make"
>command unsuccessfully :(
>{
>make[3]: Entering directory
>`/home/mansour/NCBI/toolbox/GCC342-Debug/build/bdb'
>bdb_file.cpp:
>In member function `void
>ncbi::CBDB_RawFile::PrintStat(ncbi::CNcbiOstream&)':
>/bdb_file.cpp:491: error: 'struct __db_bt_stat' has no
>member named 'bt_empty_pg'
>make[3]: *** [bdb_file.o] Error 1
>}
>
>Forgetting about this error for a while and following
>The NCBI C++ Toolkit Book:
>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/bv.fcgi?rid=toolkit
>It talks about CVS as an alternative to the FTP
>download, so I thought I could skip this part but the
>tutorial continuously refers to CVS and as I'm not
>friendly with CVS, I failed in making the parallelism
>between the commands with CVS and without.
>
>So, now I'm trying to work with CVS in order to
>understand it better. Starting with defining the
>$CVSROOT, I finally succeeded in running the command
>"cvs login" and entered the password ?allowed? but I
>got an "Unknown host cvsvault" message...
>
>It has been many days that I am working on these
>problems, if somebody can help me in any of these, I
>would be very grateful.
>
>Magda Mansour

If you have an IRC (chatting) client you can get help in 'real time' from
people who use and develop CVS all the time...

open IRC and type "/server irc.freenode.net",
then "/join #cvs"

'#cvs' is the chat channel where they talk about CVS.

If you are nice and polite they may help you with all your problems,
although I found it depends a lot on the particular chat room on how much
they are willing to help a beginner.

mailinglists are so yesterday ;)

Else find the CVS manual and begin at the beginning :(

Hey! I just found '#bioinformatics' on irc.freenode.net!