[BiO BB] Reaction with missing EC number?

Dan Bolser dmb at mrc-dunn.cam.ac.uk
Tue Oct 11 13:37:30 EDT 2005

Hi, looking at Kegg (Ligand) I find the following reaction...

R00399
succinyl-CoA:acetyl-CoA C-succinyltransferase
L-Alanine + Acetyl-CoA <=> 2-Amino-4-oxopentanoic acid + CoA

However, the EC number for this reaction appears to be "EC 2.3.1.-",
i.e. not a proper EC number. The weird thing is that this EC number *is*
used in the Kegg Valine, leucine and isoleucine degradation pathway.

I thought one way that this could come about is if the reaction itself
hasn't yet been assigned an EC number but is otherwise OK, and is used
with the 'temporary/approximate' EC number in place of the yet to be
assigned (correct) one.

Anybody know if that is correct?

Seems strange to see an approximate EC number in a step of a pathway
with known inputs and outputs. Although looking at the data it doesn't
appear to be uncommon.

Anyone have any information on the use of these approximate numbers at KEGG?

Cheers,
Dan.