[BiO BB] Spooling DNA

Dale Beach dbeach at email.unc.edu
Tue Oct 25 22:56:45 EDT 2005

You can spool the DNA because of its length.  RNA and proteins are both
easily precipitated but need a centrifuge to rapidly collect the
precipitate.  As for the DNA precipitation from an onion, assuming that
you are using an alcohol (isopropanol or ethanol are common) you should
also be precipitating the RNA since the chemical properties of DNA and
RNA are similar (they are both nucleotide chains!).  The RNA just
doesn't spool like the DNA. And even though there are plenty of RNAses
(along with proteases and DNAses), the RNA will still precipitate with
the DNA though it might be a little fragmented!

The real question is how many folks reading this have actually done any
wet-lab molecular biology? I come from a MolBio background, and wonder
how many bioinformaticians have gotten their hands dirty in a MolBio
lab?  More importantly how many would LIKE TO?  If there were a course
available, say 1 week where you cloned and sequenced a gene then
expressed a protein, would you take it? What else would you want to do?
The goal would be to provide some practical experience with the
molecules that so many folks are busy modeling.

dale

Dale Beach, PhD
SPIRE Postdoctoral Fellow, UNC-CH
Duke University Medical Center