[BiO BB] bio game / bioinformatics game /fun

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 26 14:00:57 EST 2006

Thanks. It doesn't have to have any features specialized to molecules but
they
would be a plus as long as it could also function as a general rendering and
interaction
engine. I started my search looking for some way to display 3D data and
allow user
interaction ( rotate for example). Sure, it would be nice if certain
artistic devices
similar to the stuff in Cn3D were available, but mostly I was looking for
ways to
prototype analysis ideas ( imagine you are sitting on the interesting atom
of
a complicated enzyme and want to "visually" verify some calculation you
made?
How much room is there really at an active site? And do my metrics
for fitting a sqaure peg in a round hole really capture the situation?  ).

I guess what I may be  trying to determine are things like the following:
1) Are there any "holes" big enough for solvent or reactants to find me at
oxidized
sulfur of my prior example?
2) If I used the coordinates of a pdb file as starting point, and made up
some simple potentials,
could I write a perl script ( probably with some complied code :) ) to watch
the molecular
dynamics in response to various things?

I don't have any immediate objectives I've set on- lots of ideas- but I
would like to see
how easy it is to do the visualization part. If it is easy, perhaps I could
do some
"screening" with scripts.

Thanks!

( note new address as of 10-06)