[BiO BB] Gene Search in Worm

hararid at bgumail.bgu.ac.il hararid at bgumail.bgu.ac.il
Sun Feb 19 14:11:11 EST 2006

Chris,

It is possible that your worm gene does not have homologues in higher organisms, although it is likely that you will find homologs amongst different worm species.  Many such examples exist.  The same goes for flies, etc.

The most sensitive search that you can perform in which to hunt for homologs is to perform the following:  Extract the homologs from different worm species.  Create a multiple sequence alignment (E.g. ClustalW).  Then use the multiple sequence alignment to generate a PROFILE.   You can then run this profile againt various databases (IE: profilesearches).  This can be done using the HMMER algorithm or using a Smith-Waterman based profilesearch algorithm. For the latter I refer you to this site:
http://eta.embl-heidelberg.de:8000/misc/

Daniel

hararid at bgu.ac.il