[BiO BB] Need fair alignment tool comparison/ using DSCAM for tool testing

Larye Parkins larye at info-engineering-svc.com
Tue Feb 19 13:46:48 EST 2008

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008, Mike Marchywka wrote:

> Do you have actual timing tests for various complete tasks or is 17
> seconds about it?

Aligning 172 sequences totaling 1.2MB with each other (average ~7000 bases
each, longest 22,830 bases):

real    3m17.458s
user    3m2.385s
sys     0m9.294s

MUMmer output generated 693 alignment files, out of the possible 29584
combinations of sequences, with alignment lengths ranging from about 90
bases to 22830 (the longest with itself).

The process used the 1.2MB multi-sequence file as both reference and
query for 'nucmer,' then ran 'show-coords' to generate a delta file.  The
majority of the run-time was spent parsing the delta file and generating
the alignments from sequence pairs with significant alignments, using
'show-aligns.'

The final step was to generate a Postscript scatterplot.  I later rewrote
that part to generate 16 separate plots with 43x43 sequences each to make
them readable on standard paper size.

---cut---
#!/usr/bin/env perl -w
$pref="all";
$ref=$ARGV[0];
$qry=$ref;
system("nucmer --prefix=${pref} $ref $qry");
system("show-coords -rcl ${pref}.delta > ${pref}.coords");
open(DELTA,"<${pref}.delta");

while (<DELTA>) {
    next if $_ !~ /^>/;
    @inlin = split(/ /,$_);
    $inlin[0] =~ y/>//d;
    print STDERR "Processing $inlin[0] -> $inlin[1]\n";
    system("show-aligns ${pref}.delta $inlin[0] $inlin[1] >
${inlin[0]}_${inlin[1]}.aligns");
}

system("delta-filter -q -r ${pref}.delta > ${pref}.filter");
system("mummerplot ${pref}.delta -R $ref -Q $qry --layout -p ${pref} -S -t
postscript");
---cut---

Example alignment file output:

-- BEGIN alignment [ +1 89 - 187 | -1 11054 - 10956 ]

89         gccatcgcagagcttcgctaagctcactgaacgacagcagcagtatgct
11054      gccatcgcagagcttcgctaagctcactgagcggcagcagcagtatgct
                                         ^  ^

138        acgttcctctccctcgccgcctttgctggagcccccgtcctcttcgatc
11005      acgttcctctccctcgccgcctttgctggagcccccgtcctcttcgatc

187        a
10956      a

--   END alignment [ +1 89 - 187 | -1 11054 - 10956 ]

In this case, the alignment is forward versus reverse strands, with two
SNPs detected.

System: Sun Blade 2000 (2x900MHz SPARC), Solaris 10;
MUMmer 3.20, compiled 32-bit.

--
Larye D. Parkins
Information Engineering Services

Making IT work since 1965.
Member of: ACM, IEEE Computer Society, USENIX, SAGE, LOPSA