[Bioclusters] http://www.sistina.com/products_gfs.htm

Ivo Grosse bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Mon, 13 May 2002 03:00:52 -0400

Hi Chris and other bioclusterers,

I just stumbled upon http://www.sistina.com/products_gfs.htm, which
states that one advantage of GFS (combined with Mosix?) is that it

	"Eliminates NFS Bottlenecks,"

and as example these guys list

  	"Life Sciences"

and

	"Shared BLAST databases."

Independently of the fact that these guys charge $1000/node (Am I
correct?), I wonder if their claims are correct?  Can Mosix -- by using
GFS -- really achieve a high I/O throughput?

A related question is: does Mosix work together with PVFS?

Best regards, Ivo

chris dagdigian bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Tue, 05 Mar 2002 11:16:51 -0500

(1) My limited experience with MOSIX has me believing that in the MOSIX
world a process that is doing heavy I/O operations will never get
migrated across to a less loaded machine. This alone is enough for me
not consider MOSIX/SSI for bioclusters because all of the ones I have
built so far are very, very often used for IO-bound embarassingly
parallel jobs (blast, genscan, etc. etc). Am I totally wrong? Anyone
out
there using SSI/Mosix systems for hardcore biology stuff?
<<<