[Bioclusters] re: seeking sources

Chris Dagdigian bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Thu, 23 May 2002 16:55:02 -0400

Hi Sam,

{cc'ing to bioclusters intentionally...}

I can give you 2 perspectives, just my opinion of course:

(1) A small business view
(2) An open source project member view

For (1) I'm one of the members of a tiny life science consulting group.
It consists of three peopel glued together with laptops, cellphones and
802.11b wireless.

One of the things that we love about the big companies is how shameless
they are in pitching their own solutions over everything else. This is
even more apparent in the consulting world where just about every
"professional services" person out there works for a company that just
happens to also sell their own expensive solutions and systems.

Even worse, these "solutions" often do not interoperate or play nicely
with "solutions" from other companies. Talk to a couple of VP's of
Bioinformatics some time and you will see how mad they are about broken
promises and failures by "solution providers" who promise the sky and
deliver something else.

To quote Joe Landman from the biodevelopers list "imagine if someone
built a business process or research process around
DoubleTwist and their tools for example"...

It's also pretty funny to see the "A team" executive sales squads decend
upon a small biotech or pharma and then flop around miserably because
they have no clue about what the company is actually doing and what they
need. Despite not having a clue they are quite happy to sell their
solutions though.

This is why we started out little company. No hidden agendas and no
vested interest (financial or otherwise) in pushing clients towards a
certain product or technology. We are doing quite well on the business
side and have no fear at all of the large companies. Actually the more
shameless the large companies get with aggressive sales tactics the more
our phone rings.

I constantly run into EMC, IBM, Sun and Compaq when out in the real
world. In the course of my work I've probably contributed to all  of
those companies losing large harware, software and services sales at one
time or another because we were able to come up with something that was
faster/better/cheaper or just a better solution for what the customer
actually needed.

On the other side since I don't resell stuff myself I've been
responsible for recommeding the purchase of at least several million
dollars worth of servers/software/networking and storage gear that
people have purchased direct from companies like IBM, Dell, Network
Appliance, Platform Computing, etc. so it probably all works out in the
end for everyone. This is why people at the large companies still talk
to me. heh.

That is the last I'm going to say about my professional work since
bioclusters is better off being non-commercial and I don't want to push
the business side of my activities on list members. Feel free to contact
me offline for more info if needed.

Ok..different track now:

The problem with the big hardware companies is that they want to sell
you the world. IBM, Sun and Compaq will be happy to sell you the
hardware that you need but they will also make an aggressive play to get
you to use their application server framework,their database
technologies, their enterprise storage products etc. etc. irregardless
of how appropriate it may be.

IBM and Compaq it seems have made the most agggressive efforts in
getting into the life sciences. Both companies have large R&D efforts
and projects that they use for both PR and real science and both have
hired lots of smart people.

Sun has not hired bioinformatics people aggressively but they
historically have been great when it comes to standards efforts,
supporting the open source projects in this field etc. Their GridEngine
suite is getting better all the time and is seeing more and more use in
the life sciences.

On the open source side (disclaimer: I'm a director of the Open
Bioinformatics Foundation and a member of the bioperl project) I'd argue
that the big companies have made little impact but that several smaller
companies in the industry have been hugely helpful. The smaller
companies are more likely to allow their employees to actively
contribute code.

Sun and IBM people can be found at standards meetings and
interoperability efforts but I don't see many of them actively
contributing to bio-specific open source efforts. Sun has given both
money and hardware grants to the various OBF open source projects which
in and of itself has been very beneficial.

People who have lost jobs at failed startups are finding work at other
startup comapanies, pharma/biotech companies or academia. I have not
noticed any sort of real trend of people getting hired by large hardware
companies. This could be a geographical bias given that I live in the
Boston area where there seems to be a million and one life science
companies within a few square miles.

-chris

--
Chris Dagdigian, <dag@sonsorol.org>
Independent life science IT & research computing consulting