[Bioclusters] Re: [GE users] submit a job

chris dagdigian bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 11:35:14 -0500

Grace,

Your life will be easier if your gridengine ncbi-blast system had the
same path to the blastall binary on all your execution hosts. Can you
set this up for instance with a symbolic links? It makes writing your
scripts much easier. If all else fails you can put the blastall binary
into an NFS share, presumably you already have at least one NFS share
going for the sge stuff.

It would also be helpful to us if you posted the output of the blastall
error message you are seeing-- believe it or not they actually do try to
tell you what is going wrong. From memory I seem to recall that if you
do not use the .ncbirc config file you need to set at least two
environment variables: $BLASTDB points to the sequence databases and
$BLASTMAT points to the directory that holds all of the scoring matrices.

Since you can't directly qsub calls to binaries with gridengine what you
need to do is create a perl or shell script that will run the blast
query for you. You should prove that this script will work when run
individually from any execution node before you try sending it to
gridengine via qsub.

I'd suggest following up with a reply strictly to the
bioclusters@bioinformatics.org mailing list as this is starting to get
off-topic for the sge-users list. The bioclusters folks deal with blast
farms all the time.

Regards,
Chris
bioteam.net

--
Chris Dagdigian, <dag@sonsorol.org>
Bioteam.net - Independent Bio-IT & Informatics consulting