[Bioclusters] mpiBLAST Performance

Osborne, John bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Wed, 14 May 2003 11:15:19 -0400

I forgot to mention, I'd estimate mpiBLAST is at least 50% faster than my
homebrewn
script which just subdivides the blast query and searches a copy of the
database on
each node.  Being able to put database fragments entirely (or mostly) in RAM
obviously
helps.  I'm still wondering though why mpiblast doesn't assign each node a
specific
piece of the database in local storage.  I am looking at the local storage
area on one
of my nodes (n2) and there is nr.00, nr.05 and nr.13 indices.  Should each
node just get
one piece?  Or does every node evetually get the entire thing as you run it
over and
over again?

And despite my complaining, it's actually easier to setup and use then what
I wrote.  :)

 -John