[Bioclusters] how are the Redhat product changes affecting existing and future plans?

Matthew Laird bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 09:11:04 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Tim Cutts wrote:

> My gut feeling is Debian for bog-standard compute nodes, because it has
> no commercial agenda, and will not be shot in the head because of such
> agendas.  Plus, of course, the fact that it's a damned fine distribution
> anyway (OK, I'm a bit biassed, I used to be a Debian developer).

Now don't get me wrong, I love Debian and have used it at home for years,
but the largest drawback of Debian is the fact they can't keep up on
hardware support and new version of packages the same way a commercial
distro can.  We've been discussing this around here and have been
wondering if the new Fedora project might suffer this same fate.  In fact
this situation could cause both Debian and Fedora to fall further behind
on hardware support if volunteer developers are now split between the two
projects.

It's left us wondering is SuSe will be the only option... that is if the
recently announced Novell acquisition doesn't fundamentally change their
operations.

--
Matthew Laird
SysAdmin/Web Developer, Brinkman Laboratory, MBB Dept.