[Bioclusters] what are people using to mirror large ftp repositories

Jeremy Mann bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Wed, 10 Sep 2003 15:30:49 -0500 (CDT)

> Hi folks,
>
> I've turned a bunch of Seagate 160gb IDE disks into a large software
> RAID5 volume and am trying to mirror the raw fasta data from
> ftp://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/blast/db/FASTA/ for use on a personal
> development project.
>
> The 'wget' utility (Redhat 9 on a dual PIII system w/ ext3 filesystem)
> is bombing out on a few of the remote files which even when compressed
> are greater than 2gb in size.
>
> My kernel and ext3 filesystem support large filesizes but 'wget' or my
> shell seem to have issues.

Ah yes, I spent a few minutes on getting ours to work. ncftpget is what
you want to use. Support +2gig files. Command usage example:

ncftpget -d download.log ftp://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/blast/db/FASTA/igSeqNt.Z
ncftpget -d download.log ftp://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/blast/db/FASTA/igSeqProt.Z

--
Jeremy Mann
jeremy@biochem.uthscsa.edu