[Bioclusters] Using semi-public PCs for heavy computation jobs

Ron Chen bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Sun, 15 Feb 2004 16:53:29 -0800 (PST)

GridEngine (SGE) 6.0 will integrate with JXTA,
offering JxGrid, to provide P2P workload management
like SETI@home.

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/project/gridengine/workshop22-24.09.03/proceedings.html
"Resource Discovery in Sun Grid Engine using JXTA"

However, SGE 6.0 is not available until May 2004. So I
suggest another package called "BOINC".

http://boinc.berkeley.edu

BOINC is free+opensource, supports multiple platforms
(Windows, Linux, Solaris, MacOSX).

Your approach of installing sshd/telnetd is OK, but
the sys.admins will not like opening a port, since
hackers can get in easiler. BOINC does not leave a
port open, and it uses http to get the workload (so
easiler to go through firewalls). Moreover, it allows
suspending the work when users access the machine, and
allow better scheduling. Further it has better file
transfer than home-made solutions.

I would suggest you to look at the link above as I do
not fully know all the features!

 -Ron