[Bioclusters] blast server on OpenMosix cluster

Lewis, John bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 13:24:47 -0600

As far as storage goes our Blast data sets are about 60 gig on a 2.5
terabyte XRAID.  We then exported the BlastDB via nfs to each node
which are on their own gigabit switch.  We have not had any bottle neck
issues yet.  But we did order fiber boards for the portal and the
cluster nodes if we need to we'll get a fiber switch and that should
take care of that issue.  or XRAID has dual 2 gigabit fiber ports.

Also we have the user shares on there too.  Plus we moved our Linux
home directors over to our XRAID and our xserve exports them directly
to the linux servers.  Its a pretty nice setup.
So now our bioinformatics whenever they log into any server they are
always seeing the same directory no matter what Unix(mac os X, or our
SGI's) Linux or even "Wintel" if they really want that, lol ya I'll
take the insecure system with Virus issues because the code is so crap.
  hehe

I did mirror the XRAID and set up a hot swappable drive for each set on
the RAID.  So the total available space is about 900 gigs.

John