[Bioclusters] mpiblast on the smallest possible cluster

Fernan Aguero bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Wed, 28 Jan 2004 19:16:57 -0300

+----[ Lucas Carey <lcarey@odd.bio.sunysb.edu> (28.Jan.2004 11:57):

| You should be fine using -np 3 instead of -np2. MPICH will
| start up the third process on the master. Also, try the
| cvs version if you have any troubles, as it contains a lot
| of bugfixes. You can get a nightly tarball from:
| http://mpiblast.sf.net/mpiblast-latest.tar.gz
| -Lucas

+----]

Thanks Lucas,

that did it! Although I have yet to understand the output of
mpiblast --debug, I can now see CPU activity increase in the
master, coincident with the start of a mpiblast process.

I'm still confused as to what is happening ... -np 3 with 2
database segments? But perhaps it's just something like:
process 0 -> master (management)
process 1 -> node (process execution)
process 2 -> master, now acting as a node (process execution)

Is this documented somewhere? Where have I missed
reading? :)

Fernan

--
F e r n a n   A g u e r o