[Bioclusters] Oscar installation

Chris Dagdigian bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Tue, 06 Jul 2004 16:26:22 -0400

Hi Malcolm,

Sorry for the delay in responding. I'm swamped with a different project
right now and have not been using SystemImager for quite some time
although that is going to change next week. I can't be more specific
because I don't have a systemimager setup handy.

If you look under the hood at how systemimager operates through the PXE
boot process the 'final' result is that the node learns its own hostname
by doing a DNS lookup on the IP it was assigned and then makes a rsync
call to the image server to download a "autoinstall script" called
<nodename>.sh

The <nodename.sh> file is actually just a symlink to the "master"
installer script that was created by SystemImager when you ran the
"getimage" command.

There is one "master" script for each systemimager image your
imageserver is hosting.

The scripts live in your systemimager scripts/ directory. If you don't
know where that is check the /etc/systemimager/rsyncd.conf file
systemimager is running as it will have the full unix paths to the
systemimager directories.

The way that I got systemimager to work with a 3ware controller was by
hand-editing the master to perform 2 additional steps for me:

#1 -- Download the 3ware kernel module

#2 -- Load the 3Ware driver into the systemimager autoinstall kernel
using the /sbin/insmod command

Once the 3ware driver is downloaded your disks will appear as normal
/dev/sd* scsi devices and the script can proceed as normal as it creates
partitions and fills them up with data.

If you are even partially familiar with shell scripting you should be
able to make sense of the systemimager installer script -- you want to
find the section of the script where the boel_binaries.tgz and other
files are being downloaded and insert your additional rsync/download
command there. Once you have the 3ware module downloaded, you will
(obviously) need to stick your "insmod" command in the script well
before there are any attempts by the script to do anything to a /dev/sd*
device.

*** Note ***
FYI this is all a terribly hacked way to do this, newer versions of
systemimager use a modern kernel with loadable modules and there are
even config files you can edit to control (via insmod) which modules are
used by the autoinstaller process.

It is highly likely that the current version of systemimager may already
have the 3ware module present and you just need to edit the insmod
config parameter to ensure that the module is loaded at install time.

A quick query to the systemimager mailing list may save you a bunch of
time and script hacking
*** Note ***

Regards,
Chris

--
Chris Dagdigian, <dag@sonsorol.org>
BioTeam  - Independent life science IT & informatics consulting