[Bioclusters] gigabit ethernet performance

Chen Peng bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Fri, 9 Jul 2004 17:41:42 +0800

--Apple-Mail-3--610247557

Hi,

We are runing a Xserve G4 cluster with SMC gigabit switch. I found the
network performance is not satisfactory that file transmission speed is
always limited to 12MB/s to 13 MB/s.

To copy a 800MB file from one host (192.168.101.161) to another one
(192.168.101.162) using FTP, it takes almost 70 seconds when the entire
network is almost idle. I have verified all NIC and ports on the
switch, all of them appear to be "1000base TX". And the disk IO speed
is guaranteed to be over 40MB/s.

We expect the average speed in gigabit ethernet should be around
30MB/s. Does any one know what might be the problem?

Thank you.

--
Chen Peng
<chenpeng@alumni.nus.edu.sg>

--Apple-Mail-3--610247557

Hi,

We are runing a Xserve G4 cluster with SMC gigabit switch. I found the
network performance is not satisfactory that file transmission speed
is always limited to 12MB/s to 13 MB/s.

To copy a 800MB file from one host (192.168.101.161) to another one
(192.168.101.162) using FTP, it takes almost 70 seconds when the
entire network is almost idle. I have verified all NIC and ports on
the switch, all of them appear to be "1000base TX". And the disk IO
speed is guaranteed to be over 40MB/s.

We expect the average speed in gigabit ethernet should be around
30MB/s. Does any one know what might be the problem?

Thank you.

<fixed>--

Chen Peng

<<chenpeng@alumni.nus.edu.sg>