[Bioclusters] gigabit ethernet performance

george wm turner bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Sun, 11 Jul 2004 11:26:22 -0500 (EST)

> scp cyphers

Usually, the default encryption is Triple DES where the
DES algorithm is applied three times.  Just about any
of the other cyphers will give you a 3X performance
boost.  I measured it once or twice and that's about
what I saw.  Blowfish was designed to encrypt streaming
data so it usage with scp should be obvious.  I think
DES is a block cypher where the data is encrypted in
chunks but I admit I don't remember for sure.

> cluster/GigE rates

As for cluster IO throughput, what we noticed when
we moved our fileservers from 100 Mb/s to GigE
was that the IO server (disk and/or PCI bus) became the
bottleneck; painfully slow response to file commands (ls, etc.)
My hypothesis is that before the network was acting as
a flow mediator; i.e. a throttle or governor.  Now
the IO requests just slams into the fileserver faster than it
can deal with it, I/O requests backup, load shoots up
(under Linux, one outstanding IO request will induce a
load of one) and the humand get annoyed.   A common occurrence
for this is when one user doing the same thing (IO wise) gets
scheduled onto several of the compute nodes at once.  That's what
the parallel file system or local scratch is for but users
don't seem to want to think outsde their home file space
for some reason.

george wm turner
uits/rats @ indiana university
812 855 5156