[Bioclusters] ncbi blast

Susan Chacko bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Wed, 23 Jun 2004 10:56:58 -0400

I'm seeing exactly this same problem on our systems. It does not appear
to be related to hardware, as I see it on all of the following:
- 2.8 GHz Xeon, 2 Gb RAM
- 2.8 GHz Xeon, 4 Gb RAM
- 1.8 GHz Athlon, 2 Gb RAM
- 1.4 GHz Athlon, 2 Gb RAM
- 866 MHz Pentium III, 1 Gb RAM

They're all running RH 7.1 with updated kernels. I'm using the NCBI
blastall and the NCBI nt db. There aren't any missing libraries,
according to ldd.

Our databases sit on a Netapp 960 Filer, and at first I thought that
was the problem, but I still see the failures when I copy the db to
local scratch on the nodes.

The problem appears _only_ with the combination of the nt database and
the '-a 2' flag on Blast. It is random, in that I get somewhere between
5 and 20 failures out of 20 Blast runs with the same db+query. I get no
failures with other dbs (e.g. est) or if I don't use the -a flag.

I've also run Blast with the same db+query on an SGI Origin 3400 with
no failures, using -a 2, -a 3, -a 4.

I've emailed NCBI about this and am waiting for a response.

Susan.