[Bioclusters] book recommendations

bioclusters@bioinformatics.org bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 10:49:34 -0500

Hello,
I'm planning a career shift to bioinformatics sysadmin/research and want to
know from you, dear list,
what books might best prepare me given my background.

-  Ph.D. Theoretical Chemistry 1997.
  (solved geometry optimizations using Genetic Algorithm, Neural Nets, among
other less tasty tidbits)
- Last 7 years full-time Unix administration.

To fill my molecular biology gaps (with emphasis on DNA) and catch up on
advances in pattern classification
(its been almost 10 years since my GA optimization paper ...owch )  my 1st
iteration is:

1) Molecular Biology of the Gene 5th edition (Watson et al)
2) Pattern Classification (Duda, Hart and Stork)
3) Biological Sequence Analysis (Durbin, Eddy, Krogh, and Mitchison)

I'd be especially happy to hear from those of you who came to your career in
bioinformatics/cluster
computing from a similar background as me.

best,
Jeff