[Bioclusters] Any issues porting applications to OS X?

Elia Stupka bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 17:30:16 +0100

> I'm anxious to try out my first G5 cluster one day, hopefully soon,
> but the Opteron path makes more applications available to me.

On the G5 side of things so far I don't have as positive comments as in
my earlier mail. We got 4 2Ghz dual G5s as soon as they were available
and we really really felt like Apple's guinea pigs (though the price
was not guinea pig price) as 3 out of 4 had various hardware issues,
instabilities,etc. Once again, they were very prompt and helpful in
sorting those issues out, but still for quite a while we weren't really
productive on those machines.  In a week or so we should be Sun Grid
Engine'ing them together so we should know how well they behave under
stress,etc.

Elia