[Bioclusters] Any issues porting applications to OS X?

Michael Chute bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 11:44:34 -0500

--Apple-Mail-4--733856793

> In my hands, 2.8 GHz Pentium IV Xeon matches a 1.7 GHz POWER4+ (the
> G5's big brother) at almost every genomics code I've thrown at it, so
> I'll believe you when I see some numbers, and not from Apple's website
>  :-)

I agree but the processors are already past the 1.7 g4.  I was merely
saying that for what we are doing it is fast enough.

I had thought of mentioning that, but there's almost no commercial
support for Linux on PPC by independent software vendors.  It seems a
little pointless to me - if you're going to run Linux, you might as
well run it on the best supported platform, which is still x86.

True but I was putting this out as a proof in principle that Linux can
run on PPC

I'd like to hear more, because I don't believe it.  Can you power cycle
a crashed node remotely?  What sort of remote console do you have?  Can
you do everything you need to through a command line as well as a GUI?
I know GUIs are friendly, but when your cluster gets large you get
tired of clicking buttons *really* quickly.  Your requirements are
probably different from mine, though.

You can admin remotely the tools are included with panther or jaguar.
As far as I know the remote capability is the same as if you are
physically present but I cannot say for sure.  Yes you can use command
line for everything. you are right that some of this depends on scale.
you should also take a look at "big mac" at Virginia tech.  A cluster
of 1200 g5's that is the 3rd fastest supercomputer in the world.

Mike
Michael D. Chute
BSL-3 Lab Manager
Naval Medical Research Center
Biological Defense Research Directorate
Suite 1N29
503 Robert Grant Ave
Silver Spring, MD 20910
Voice: 301-319-7529
Fax: 301-319-7513
<excerpt>In my hands, 2.8 GHz Pentium IV Xeon matches a 1.7 GHz
POWER4+ (the G5's big brother) at almost every genomics code I've
thrown at it, so I'll believe you when I see some numbers, and not
from Apple's website  :-)

</excerpt>

I agree but the processors are already past the 1.7 g4.  I was merely
saying that for what we are doing it is fast enough.

but there's almost no commercial support for Linux on PPC by
independent software vendors.  It seems a little pointless to me - if
you're going to run Linux, you might as well run it on the best
supported platform, which is still x86.

</color>

True but I was putting this out as a proof in principle that Linux can
run on PPC

I'd like to hear more, because I don't believe it.  Can you power
cycle a crashed node remotely?  What sort of remote console do you
have?  Can you do everything you need to through a command line as
well as a GUI?  I know GUIs are friendly, but when your cluster gets
large you get tired of clicking buttons *really* quickly.  Your
requirements are probably different from mine, though.</color>