[Bioclusters] RE: non linear scale-up issues?

David Gayler bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Wed, 12 May 2004 20:16:32 -0500

This is all great feedback. Thanks.
As you have stated, data access/network bandwidth issues are definitely a
difficult problem to solve with no silver bullet in sight (fiber or at least
gigabit would be a good start though). I certainly understand the idea of
just building a dedicated cluster and calling it a day if that gives the
results back in the time needed. It certainly minimizes the amount of
management housekeeping that needs to be done. As stated, some problems may
not be well-suited to being distributed to 100 administrative assistant's
desktops.

However, for the problems that do work well with the cycle stealing
solutions that y'all are using, is the
1) mgmt such a royal pain in the rear that ultimately you say screw it?
2) are the political issues of harvesting from a couple hundred or thousand
machines a nightmare? If so, where does the security issues rank?

Thanks again.

Message: 2