[Bioclusters] Re : Problem starting sge_schedd in Startupitems in OS X (fixed)

zauhar r.zauhar at usip.edu
Tue Apr 26 14:27:28 EDT 2005

Thanks for resurrecting the discussion folks, I will also try this fix.

Randy

On Apr 26, 2005, at 1:15 PM, Rayson Ho wrote:

> Fixed, please test it for me!!
>
> http://gridengine.sunsource.net/servlets/ReadMsg?list=users&msgNo=10796
>
> Rayson
>

> --- Rayson Ho <raysonlogin at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Yes, with " a.out > /dev/null 2>&1 < /dev/null" in the startupitem,
>> the
>> reduced code seems to work now.
>>
>> May be I will try with SGE and see if there are issues remaining...
>>
>> Thanks Tim :)
>>
>> Rayson
>>

>> --- Tim Cutts <tjrc at sanger.ac.uk> wrote:

>>> Aha - sorry, I misunderstood you.  Yes, it looks like Startup
>> scripts
>>>
>>> execute with closed STDIN, STDOUT and STDERR file handles.  It also
>>> has
>>> a frankly bizarre umask.  Look at the permissions on the created
>>> file:
>>>
>>> -r-s--s---  1 root  wheel  31 26 Apr 09:28 /tmp/log.txt*
>>>
>>> I used the following Startup Items script:
>>>
>>> #!/bin/sh
>>> # startup script for service anacron, created by daemonic
>>>
>>> . /etc/rc.common
>>>
>>> case "$1" in
>>>    start)
>>>
>>>      ConsoleMessage "Starting Rayson Tester"
>>>
>>>      /Users/tim/t
>>>
>>>      ;;
>>> esac
>>>
>>> exit 0
>>>
>>> And the following property list (nicked from daemonic-anacron):
>>>
>>> {
>>>    Description = "rayson-test";
>>>    Provides = ("rayson-test");
>>>    Requires = ("Resolver");
>>>    OrderPreference = "None";
>>>    Messages =
>>>    {
>>>      start = "Starting Rayson Tester";
>>>      stop = "Stopping Rayson Tester";
>>>      restart = "Restarting Rayson Tester";
>>>    };
>>> }
>>>
>>> OK, I know it doesn't actually require a Resolver, but that doesn't
>>
>>> affect the test.
>>>
>>> The problem can be 'fixed' by reopening the three standard files
>> from
>>>
>>> /dev/null at some point in the script before the startup command:
>>>
>>> exec > /dev/null 2>&1 < /dev/null
>>>
>>> At least anything that depends on the file handle existing won't
>> fall
>>>
>>> on its arse.
>>>
>>> Tim
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dr Tim Cutts
>>> Informatics Systems Group, Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute
>>> GPG: 1024D/E3134233 FE3D 6C73 BBD6 726A A3F5  860B 3CDD 3F56 E313
>>> 4233

Randy J. Zauhar, PhD
Assoc. Prof. of Biochemistry
Director, Graduate Program in Bioinformatics
Dept. of Chemistry & Biochemistry
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
600 S. 43rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104

Phone:	(215)596-8691
FAX:		(215)596-8543
E-mail:	r.zauhar at usip.edu
Web:	http://tonga.usip.edu/zauhar

Discussion after watching Disney's "Lilo & Stitch":

DAD: "But why did the space aliens speak English, as opposed to French,
or Swahili? And why did the one alien speak English with an Eastern
European accent? I don't get it."

CATHERINE (age 7): "That's 'cause you don't have a good cartoon brain."